Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Urban Electric Co & The Ordinary


I recently went to Charleston to meet with The Urban Electric Co.  I am designing a custom fixture with them for a new project.  I had the pleasure of touring their facilities and taking a sneak peak at the new fixtures they are producing.  I have been using their products for many years and was truly amazed to see their operation in action. Everything from the design & engineering to the production & finishing is all done under one roof. They can customize their fixtures by having all of these teams working in such close proximity. I was able to review the engineering of my fixture with one team and then watch as the finish team made up samples for me right there on the spot.
     








I also had the opportunity to sample some low country cuisine.  The Ordinary, Leon's Oyster Shop, and Butcher and Bee were definitely highlights.  The rum inspired cocktail list at The Ordinary was worth the trip.  The special rum drink the bartender made was a hit and perfect with oysters.

1 and 1/2 ounce Flor De Cana rum (12 year)
1 ounce Sherry Olorusso
1 ounce lemon juice
1/2 ounce simple syrup

Mix all ingredients in a shaker.  Add ice and shake.  Strain into coupe and serve with a lemon twist.

The light fixtures at the Ordinary are seen in the photo below.  They are one of my favorites and are made by The Urban Electric Co.



Leon's Oyster Shop is also must destination.  The restaurant is located in an old gas station on King Street.  The hush puppies and were phenomenal.  Make sure to save room for the soft-serve vanilla ice cream.












No comments:

Post a Comment